Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Vino Festival

Yeah, don't worry - you read that right.

Conor & I went to a wine festival last weekend with my friend Caitlin and our fellow scientist friend Craig. Wine festivals aren't usually my scene (it's the whole lack of drinking thing...) but I was excited to hang out with my friends and enjoy a nice day outside, rather than sit around our apartment in my air conditioned abode that I try not to leave unless necessary. Caitlin gave us some suggestions the night before as to what to bring, and we planned on meeting in the morning to hit up a Starbucks on our way there. Conor and I grabbed our lawn chairs, a blanket, and a cooler full of water and we were set. We got there early in order to get a good spot on the lawn - prime people watching real estate. That's really the reason I wanted to go. I feel like people watching should be the Nation's Pastime. Forget baseball, people watching is where it's at. Taking pictures was hard - there were a lot of people and the tight quarters made it hard to zoom into your targeted crazy person.

Conor and I take a standard "smush our faces, camera an arms-length away" photo, but we didn't do so well this time. We've got to work on our angles to minimize triple chins and nose hair.


Nice, Conor. For the record, this is the best picture of me, of course.


Tyra Banks would tell me that I have lost my neck. I'm about to gain it in the next few photos.


Cheryl - watch out, you're getting close to a double chin.


No! No, Cheryl! TRIPLE CHIN! The glasses don't hide it!


Pssh, whatever. We'll just try again the next time we leave the house.

In between atrocious photos of us, I also had a great view of the hula hoop lady. She danced from 11am until we left at 5pm. All while in her hip hat and short little skirt. I will say that I am extremely impressed with her ease of hula hooping. She made it look easy, and it's not easy.


Get it girl!


Ah, yeah!

People don't mess around at festivals like these. Lots of people had lanyard necklaces that had a special pouch for their wine glasses. People also string pretzels onto a string so they can eat while they booze! You've got to hand it to them, that's just plain old resourceful.


Sorry for the crazy closeups of thigh - I was sitting comfortably in my lawn chair, and couldn't be bothered to walk closer to the pretzel necklace, I used my zoom instead and got lots of thigh in there.

I also loved that these people dressed to the nines for their day of drinking and live music. Little summer dresses, heels, hair perfectly coifed. I really don't think the South is for me, but I sure am trying. Although, my jean capris, blank shirt, flip flops, and standard pony tail didn't help me fit in so much.

We had a great time - the weather was really nice, Caitlin and Craig enjoyed the vino, and I enjoyed my 6 bottles of water. Thanks for inviting us Finn!

No comments:

Post a Comment