Monday, April 19, 2010

28 is the new 28...

Conor celebrated his 28th birthday last Sunday, so he got to choose the day's events - brunch and a baseball game! He kept telling everyone that called that I was a trooper for going to the game with him, but I don't hate baseball THAT much. But, lets just keep that secret from Conor a bit longer...

The day started out by sleeping in a bit, and then heading over to the Cheesecake Factory for their brunch menu. Conor got the monte cristo sandwich, while I got a standard brunch meal - eggs, bacon, and pancakes.




After breakfast, we went to play with the new iPad for a while. It's pretty cool, but I don't think we'll be having one of those in the Glassey family anytime soon. Unless someone wants to buy us one. We wouldn't object.

Conor had to go to a game for work on his birthday, and I said I would go too because I wanted to spend the day with him, and because Babe Ruth was going to be there!

The game we went to was in Greensboro, NC, which is about an hour away from us. The Greensboro Grasshoppers played the Augusta Green Jackets from Georgia. Conor & I took our seats, and one of his buddies from work came, as well as his friend Dave Cameron - a USSMariner friend - and his wife Amy.


He'll always be 9 months older than me. It feels pretty good to be 27 right now. Sorry Con, just speaking the truth. Don't I look so young and youthful in this picture?

The Greensboro Grasshoppers are a low class A team affiliated with the Florida Marlins. Low A games are always fun to catch, because they know their players aren't great, so they entertain you in between each inning as much as possible. Their mascot shared a birthday with Conor, so all his mascot friends from the surrounding areas came out and they played a game of kickball. It was completely random, and a bit chaotic... Still funny to see middle-aged men trying to be goofy in a costume for the kids there.

The real reason I came though, was to see Babe Ruth, the bat-retrieval dog.



Babe is the best. She is a trained labrador retriever that goes to pick up the bats after her owner gives the ok (after a player is walked or gets a hit.) Conor tricked me though. I thought Babe was the bat boy for the whole game, but apparently she only does it for 2 Greensboro innings... Oh well, she's too adorable to be mad at. Check out the video below of Babe in action.




I liked Conor's pink lemonade straw. I bought it for him, so the guy naturally gave me a pink straw. I didn't correct him.


If any of you have seen the Hangover, Carlos was at the baseball game too!

After the baseball game, Conor and I found the nearest Mexican restaurant, but the food was pretty raunchy. We came home for some dessert!

Being a baseball widow wife, I decided to try and be cute and turn the white cakeballs into baseballs. The idea is still there, I just need to perfect it a bit. Conor recognized what I was going for, and the thought is what counts, but the pink frosting didn't really translate into red stitching quite like I had imagined...



I stopped halfway through, no reason to keep trying when they looked that disgusting - better luck next time.



I think he's wishing for me not to make these again anytime soon.

Happy 28th Birthday Conor!

No comments:

Post a Comment