Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentine's Day 2010

Conor & I spent our 8th Valentine's Day together, and we had a great time. We used to go to concerts together all the time. I don't think I could even count how many shows I've seen live, but it's well over 100. I would say that 95% of those concerts have been attended by both Conor & I. I haven't seen a show in quite a while, and definitely not while I've been out here in North Carolina, so we decided to make a weekend trip out to Charlotte, NC for 2 of our favorite bands: Saves the Day and New Found Glory. NFG was actually my first concert at Graceland when their self-titled Album came out 10 years ago, and this show in Charlotte was the 10 year anniversary. Full circle, holy cow.

We drove to Charlotte on Friday night with the intent of getting there to see 3 out of the 4 bands that were playing that night. However, Mother Nature decided to play a cruel joke on us and snow while I was driving. Thanks a lot. The 2 1/2 hour drive took us almost 4 hours, and it was pretty white knuckle the whole way there because Gary the Go-Kart really doesn't like the snow... We made it there safely, checked into the hotel, and ran to the event just in time to catch the two bands we really wanted to see. Saves the Day came out first and they killed it. I've seen them at least 6 times now, and every time is better than the last. I of course forgot my camera, so you get no actual footage of me being there. Meh, you'll live.

Here's a Saves The Day song - it's not my favorite, but still a good one. This video was on MTV for a bit too. This is top 3 bands of all time material, so you should look them up, or let me know and I can burn you some of their cd's.



Next up was New Found Glory, and they played their entire self-titled album from start to finish, which was a lot of fun. I listened to that CD so much in high school, I'm amazed I can still play it today. Conor and I had great seats, the set was fun, and they even played some other songs afterward which was great. Below is the first music video I saw of them from this album - it's pretty dorky, but it all adds to the charm!



After the amazing concert, we went back to our hotel room to just relax - I was exhausted and tense from the drive, and now I had no voice from singing at the concert!

Saturday we slept in and then went out to lunch with Conor's best friend from 2nd grade! Conor and Alex haven't seen each other since 1990, when Conor still lived in Connecticut, and oddly enough, Alex now lives in Charlotte, so thanks to facebook they've been chatting, and we planned a lunch so they could see each other again. It was a lot of fun! After we left, I told Conor that I really did think that the two of them would still be friends if he had stayed in Connecticut, they hit it off and chatted about old friends from their elementary school and what they've been up to for the last 20 years. Alex's wife and I played the role of supportive wife, and had fun chatting as well - she's really nice, and it was fun knowing all 4 of us had the same taste in comedy and sports, the conversation was easy!


Cheryl, Conor, Alex, Erin

After lunch, we tried to go to a museum, but it was closed "due to inclement weather." Oh North Carolina. It snows 1 inch, and you shut down the world. There seriously wasn't even a little bit of snow on the ground by the museum on Saturday. Oh well. We drove around the city for a bit, and went to their carbon copy Bellevue Square mall before we went out to dinner at the Penguin Drive-In.



Conor was given the recommendation by a coworker that knows Conor's affinity for greasy dives, and he wasn't kidding - this place was small, PACKED, and the food was greasy! After that we headed back to the hotel and watched the Olympics and the NBA All Star showcase - dunk contest, three-point contest, skills contest. Sunday we drove home and I cooked a nice spaghetti and meatball dinner and we finished the night by watching Amazing Race.

Thanks for treating me to a wonderful Valentine's Day weekend Conor! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment