Monday, October 5, 2009

Chillaxin'

Conor and I had a great weekend - we had no plans, so we were able to relax and not worry about anything. It's hard work doing nothing Monday - Friday, but when the weekend comes, I look forward to it! Friday after Conor got home from work, we decided to do a little date night: dinner and a movie. We went to PF Chang's first, but we weren't really prepared to wait for an hour and 25 minutes, so we went to Cheesecake Factory instead. The molasses bread they serve you before the meal comes out is heaven. I don't even care what I order there, as long as I get that bread. Yum. After dinner, we went and saw Zombieland. No joke - this movie could possibly be added to my top 10 of all time. I'm not going to tell you anything about the movie, because I didn't know much, and I think that was one reason I loved it. There is an awesome special guest too. Great movie!

On Saturday, we made our first stop to the post office to send Gabi her birthday present. I know she reads my blog sometimes, so Gabi - don't read this part yet, you'll spoil your birthday present! I called her mom about a week ago, and asked what to get Gabi and Jon for their birthdays (they share a b-day - 10/6). Jen had no ideas for Jon, but she did have Olivia do some detective work, and she told us the three Webkinz she wanted. If you knew Gabi, and you knew her voice, you would know that this story is much funnier when you can hear her say it. She wanted the dragon, a dinosaur, and a bat. She also likes all the lizard Webkinz too. Only Gabi - no kittens, puppies, or cuddly sheep for this girl... We got her the bat and a pair of vampire fangs and she's going to LOVE it!

After the post office, we headed to a restaurant called Nosh.



Conor heard about it from a baseball friend, and we headed there for some breakfast. The restaurant itself is pretty cool. You walk in and order your food from the register in front, and then you take a card back to your seat and wait for your food to come.



The cards are of local animals that need a home from the local shelter - there is a bio about each animal on the back with a cute picture on the front. Pretty cool.




They also had lots of board games and card games for you to choose from to play while you ate - we read Trivial Pursuit cards to each other.

Once our food came, I instantly was jealous of Conor. Oh man, his food looked so good.


Conor had the Shoaf's Toast. French toast stuffed with peanut butter, honey and bananas. Yummers. It was really good - I can't wait to go back so I can have what Conor ordered.


I had the Rocket's breakfast - everything was good, just not great. The potatoes had curry on them, and I like curry, but it's not much of a breakfast spice for me...

After Nosh, we headed to the local library to get cards and check out some books. Conor and I each checked out a few things, and I'm excited to turn off the TV and read a bit more until I find a job. Conor checked out "Is This a Great Game, or What?" by ESPN's Baseball Commentator Tim Kurkjian, and "Snuff" by Chuck Palahniuk. He also got three CD's - Fall Out Boy: Folie a Deux, Belle and Sebastian: If You're Feeling Sinister, and Taylor Swift: Fearless. Yup, Taylor Swift. I dont even know who I married anymore.

I checked out 4 books, and I've already finished one. "My Lobotomy" by Howard Dully and Charles Fleming, "Thanks for the Memories" by Cecelia Ahern, "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" by Fannie Flagg, and "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith. My Lobotomy I had seen at Barnes & Noble and thought it looked really interesting, Thanks for the Memories I saw on display at the library, and I love her other books, and the last two were recommended by my mother-in-law, so I thought I'd check them out too.

After we checked out our books, we quickly ran to CVS on the way home to get a camp chair and Skittles. The camp chair was so we could sit outside and read since it was such a nice day, and the Skittles were for Conor.

On Friday, Conor watched on the Jimmy Fallon show as a group that works at the Universal Record Database. Basically, you can make up your own record that you want to break - it's not as strict as the Guinness World Records, and you don't have to break a record that already exists. After watching the show on Fallon, Conor was inspired to see what records he could break. A girl had previously eaten a bag of Skittles in 3:34, and Conor knew he could beat it. So, we grabbed the Skittles, came home, and we recorded him eating an entire bag of Skittles in about 2:14 (it was actually a little less, but close enough...). Conor submitted the video, hopefully he'll hear something from them soon. I'll save you 3 minutes of your time - the video is just Conor chewing. He tried to find one for me to do - so far the front runner is saying all 50 states in alphabetical order (thank you Mrs. Corbin-Peterson for teaching me the Fifty Nifty United States song in 5th grade). The record is currently around 3 minutes. I said all 50 states in about 30 seconds, but Conor forgot to mention I also have to be hit in the head with a wooden spoon while doing it. Random. We'll see about that one...

After that we sat on the patio for quite a while and read our books. We then caught the 4th quarter of the extremely disappointing UW game, then headed to Twisted Noodles for some dinner. When we got home, we chilled a bit and watched SNL. Ryan Reynolds is my absolute celebrity crush. Conor thinks I'm kidding, but if the opportunity presented itself, I can't say I would have any restraint. Lady Gaga also killed it - I usually fast forward through the musical guest, but I really like her and she sounded great.

On Sunday, we slept in a bit, and made breakfast together. We apparently had too many appliances going for our bacon, waffles, and Conor's coffee, because we blew a fuse. It tasted great though, and we relaxed while Conor watched the Tigers take on the White Sox. There was something important about this game, but this is my blog not Conor's, and I hate watching baseball on TV, especially if it's not the Mariners. I finished my book, took a nap, and got ready - Conor and I ran to Subway for dinner because we had no food in the kitchen. I'm not 100% Liz-worthy just yet, I haven't learned how to make an amazing meal out of anything I can find in my pantry...

When we got back, Conor and I worked on organizing our bedroom. Poor Conor hates that kind of crap more than anything in the world, but it really does feel good to now have a place for all of our stuff, and he admitted that it felt good once it was done. After he picked up his buddy from the airport, we watched the Amazing Race, I played Super Mario Galaxy (side note - I beat this game, but it is one of the few games that is still really fun to play after you beat it - if you're unemployed, invest in this game - total time waster!!!), and crashed after the room was cleaned completely.

It was a perfect, relaxing weekend. In the words of my former 4th graders, we had a great time chillaxin' - thanks Conor!

No comments:

Post a Comment