Thursday, September 24, 2009

My knight in shining armor

Conor really pulled through for me today. I am ashamed of myself because I became THAT wife today. I don't think I'm terribly squeamish around bugs in the Northwest, but I think it's because I grew up around the area and am comfortable with them. I am NOT comfortable with the native bugs around Durham. I swear, every creepy crawly thing dies on our doorstep. It's too hot outside, so these ugly, stupid worms try to crawl on the pavement to get to the grass, and bake in the sun. Seriously, dried up worms EVERYWHERE. And beetles. UGH, dead beetles everywhere. They're huge. Bees - lots of bees. There are sand flies that are actually a part of the bee family that make these weird nests, and huge bees the size of a LARGE moth. And there are large moths. Gross. I'm totally fine if they stay outside, but some are making it in the house. And they're not small. HOW IS THIS HAPPENING?!? WHERE ARE THEY COMING FROM?!? Here are two crawlies that have made it into the house that I have pictures of:

Millipedes. Have you ever seen a live millipede? Foul. Ew, the finger is for reference.



Crickets. I'll admit, I like the sounds at night - the rhythmic serenade is different than anything we have in Washington. But when one infiltrates my home, I freak.



These, however, are not the reasons that Conor is my knight in shining armor. He puts up with my new squeamishness, and today was no exception. After my shower this morning (and I use the term "morning" loosely) I walked into the main room of our apartment, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw something scram and hide out under a blanket. **Shudder** I needed to investigate, because I can handle some things, and I didn't know what it was yet. So, I first got a shoe and a paper towel, in case I needed to kill a spider (I'd apologize to Horia and Sonia, but they don't read my blog, so no apology.) Next plan of attack was try and figure out what object on my floor the critter crawled under. First up - the pillow. Nope. Spongebob Blanket? YES!!!! I still couldn't figure out what it was since it scurried under the towel. The thing had no where else to go, so I lifted the towel, with my shoe and paper towel ready, and then quickly screamed "HOLY SH** IT'S A LIZARD" as I ran into the kitchen. There is a good chance he was only 2 inches long, but it didn't matter. I was done. Totally done. I called Conor and explained the situation very calmly, and said "No" to all of his suggestions, until his suggestion was to come home and take care of it. Good man. He only works 5 minutes away, so I'm not that evil, but he totally came through for me. That little guy was mortified, and he was quick. but Conor's tupperware onto paper plate tactic did the trick, and we were able to put him outside.





Maybe you should go read the food blog again so you still want to come visit.

3 comments:

  1. "That little guy was mortified, and he was quick."

    Just for clarification, that sentence is about the lizard, not me. Also - it was more than 2 inches. With the tail, it was probably 4 inches. Cool looking too - the tail was blue. Pretty sure it was a blue-tailed skink.

    http://www.nycestuff.com/Photos/BigBlueTail.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I was thinking what you were Conor...not just 2 inches. We've got a lot of weird looking bugs in India, and lots of geckos (not the cute ones like in Hawaii) -- large, fat, ugly geckos! I'm always THAT wife cheryl...but I'm guessing you'd suspect that about me. =) Nice work Conor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that millipede looks like a disgusting turd bug. blech. i'll come visit in the winter when all the bugs die. that happens right?

    ReplyDelete