Saturday, May 22, 2010

Straight Pass to Heaven

Conor & I set off this morning to go see Conor's best friend Brendan at the APS of Durham 2010 Walk for the Animals. Brendan is an old foster dog of Nathan & Alyson's that was in love with Conor. The feeling was extremely mutual, Conor loved Brendan too. That made me seem like an evil wench for not adopting Brendan, but he is a very high maintenance dog, and with only one car and a bizarre schedule, it just wouldn't be fair to Brendan to be stuck at home all day. It all worked out though, because a wonderful family adopted Brendan, and they waited at the Walk so Conor and I could say hello - he remembered us! These aren't current, but come on - how could you not love this dog!


Brendan at last year's Walk for the Animals


Foster dog parents Alyson & Nathan


BFFs

After saying hi to Brendan, we headed over to the Durham farmers market since we were so close. We just browsed a bit. We were a little close to closing time, so we'll have to head back a little earlier next time. There is also a store called the Scrap Exchange that I've been wanting to check out, and we headed there next. Wow. That store is a hoarders dream. It's basically a random crap factory where you can go to find that doo-dad you were looking for. That's about the best I can do to describe it. I was bummed I forgot my camera. We decided to head home after that - we were hungry, and Conor was headed off to a game that afternoon. But on our way back to the car, I noticed Conor stopped to pick something up off the ground. Oh, it was no big deal, just a wad of cash someone had dropped - $91 to be exact.

Now, before I tell you what we did with the money, I want you to ask yourself what you would have done. And be honest. That's not just a couple of bucks, that's some serious cash.

We waited there for a few minutes debating what we should do, and I imagined that we would find someone running back to the spot, weeping, looking for their money, and as soon as they saw that we had it, they hugged us, treated us to lunch, and gave us a $20 as a reward! Yeah, that didn't happen. We finally decided to take it back to the car, and we were both pretty silent - I think we were both a little weary of just taking the money. That could have been some bad juju, and I was feeling guilty.

When we got back to our car, we decided that we should probably call the police just to see what the policy is on something like that. Conor called the Durham police, and they sent a cop our way. When he arrived, he first asked how much it was, and he told us that he probably would have just let us keep it, but that $91 was a bit much. Damn, what's the cut-off? Anyway, he took down our information, took the cash, and told us that we'll get a receipt in the mail saying we're the kind, thoughtful, amazing folks that turned it in. If no one claims it, then in a year, we might get a check in the mail for $91. Notice he said "might" - I think that means the money will magically disappear, but that's ok. I can sleep tonight, and Conor still likes me.

In hindsight, I kind of wish this post had been about the awesome things we bought with the black market moola. $91 would have made for a fun Saturday night, Conor & Cheryl style: dinner at PF Chang's and a bucket of popcorn to enjoy while seeing a movie in the theater. If anyone out there would like to commend us for our great act of kindness, feel free to send us cash and/or gift cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment