Saturday, May 8, 2010

Dirty Myrtle

My Dad and Kathy have a timeshare in Myrtle Beach, SC and invited Conor and I to join them last weekend. We packed up Thursday night, went to work on Friday, and drove straight to SC. Friday night was pretty low-key since we got there so late. We ate an unfortunately not-so-great dinner at a restaurant called Chuck's. We were all hungry, and just wanted to find somewhere, and there is a Chuck's in Hawaii, but it just didn't quite stack up to that one. After dinner we played a round of Five Crowns, which I won, and went to bed.

Saturday morning started with a really fun walk down the beach - there isn't anything much better than walking barefoot in the sand. We talked about what to do that day, saw some cool shells and animals, and enjoyed the hot, but breezy weather. We decided then to walk around the city and see what Myrtle Beach has to offer. And that is what brings me to the title of this post. Wow, Myrtle is not quite the resort town that I think my Dad and Kathy are accustomed to after vacationing around the world and spending so much time in Hawaii. Dirty Myrtle has 3 main streets that all parallel each other, and they are unique in their own special, dirty way. There is one store that sells beach items and souvenir crap, and it is on every city block, but it has about 5 different names, and it's almost an adventure to see which one you will see next. Waves, Ocean, Eagles, Whales, and probably more. We spent most of the day walking down what a resort employee had told us was the boardwalk. He was wrong. It was one seedy, cheap motel after another. We stopped at Eagles for some air conditioning and so Kathy could do some shopping. Conor found a killer hat.


I love that the owner of this particular "enter beach-themed store name here" is just looking on.

Next we had some lunch, and drove to the actual boardwalk. I am SO glad we did. I'm predicting a 2013 Jersey Shore-style show in Myrtle Beach. Only way more skeezy. The boardwalk is where the Ripley's museum is - that is a reason to come back to SC, that kind of activity couldn't be fit into one weekend trip when you have the rest of the boardwalk to see!


Right in front of the Ripley's museum. I wish I could remember the song they were playing, I feel like it would add to this already glorious display of Ripley's.

On the boardwalk, there was lots of airbrushing stores, a store called the Gay Dolphin that I was scared to go into, and an arcade that we spent some time in. The arcade was awesome - we played some Skee Ball, this really fun baseball pinball game, and Kathy tried to win some stuffed animals. We also walked down Pier 14 for some photo opportunities and to watch people fishing off the pier.




After walking around the boardwalk, we drove back to the resort and spent some time at the pool before Conor and my Dad grilled some chicken for dinner. We watched a movie that night, and after looking at my awful sunburn, I decided it was best to sit in front of the fan for the rest of the night and cry myself to sleep. And to think, this was only the beginning of that burn. I'm an idiot.

On Sunday, we had a nice breakfast and Conor and I snuck away to check out the Kiss Coffeehouse and play some mini golf.

The Kiss Coffeehouse was in this weird little Hollywood district of Dirty Myrtle. There was the Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood, and little shops that somehow related to Hollywood. We were just there for the Kiss Coffeehouse, so we snapped some pictures, Conor got some coffee, and we left. We easily could have stayed there all day. Conor ordered the frozen Rockuccino which had ice cream in it, and we bought Matt McGovern a bag of coffee too.





Conor and I really had our pick of the litter when it came to selecting a mini golf place, but Mt. Atlanticus Minotaur Goff won the prize. First of all, what is goff? Am I missing something? And Mt. Atlanticus? The flyer said that the lost city of Atlantis arose out of the Atlantic ocean one day and landed right on Dirty Myrtle to produce the greatest mini golf game of all time. Good stuff. This is the first thing you see when you enter, good thing he was behind a cage!


I apologize in advance for this face. At the time, this was hilarious. At the time. You'll be seeing this face a few more times.


Yup.


Hilarious, no?


Don't worry, I think that's my last minotaur pose.


Sexy.


For the most part, the course was pretty easy. You can tell they put their money into the scenery and minotaur story, rather than the actual difficulty of their holes. Out of context, that could sound a bit gross.




Ew.


Should we have called animal control? Is mama duck's next litter of baby ducks going to be mutated and grow a third foot? Or will they all turn into baby minotaurs? That can't be healthy.


No! Conor, watch out!


Conor's attempt at the minotaur face. And a ride on a dodo bird of some sort.


Again, when you're by yourself, and you have a camera, sometimes you think pictures like this are a good idea. I'm pretending to stick my finger in his ancient Atlantis butt. Smooth, Cheryl.


This one was difficult. That's my ball to the right. It was supposed to go to the left.


This is the 19th hole - if you get a hole-in-one, you get a lifetime of free Minotaur Goff! There was a wall full of people that had made it in, but sadly, Conor and I did not get to add our faces. Our balls fell into the blue abyss.

After 18 holes of goff, I was VICTORIOUS with a score of 39 to 44. I rocked. I even got two holes-in-one. Conor usually wins, so this is definitely blog-worthy.

After our morning out, we headed back to the resort to hang with Dad & Kathy. It was so nice, but apparently I've decided that I can only get sunburnt in tropical places like Hawaii, so did I put on more sunscreen after getting back from mini golf? No. Should I have? Hell yes. Don't worry, I didn't take any pictures, but imagine what a lobster looks like, and that is what Conor and I looked like after a full day in the sun.

We first looked for my Dad and Kathy, but couldn't find them, so we decided to go play in the Atlantic Ocean! I love getting tossed in the waves. At first I wasn't planning on getting in, but Conor is persuasive. After that, we found Dad and Kathy and had some lunch before going down this slide they have at the resort. I'm pretty sure it is made for 10 year-olds, but my Dad, Conor & I had a blast! Kathy tried to take some pictures, but it's hard when the slide lasts 3 seconds, and you're already in the water before the picture goes off. We hung out in the sun for a bit before playing a game of shuffleboard. This message goes out to everyone I know. Shuffleboard is AWESOME! I hope to be 70, retired, and a shuffleboard master. That is now my life goal. Although the game took almost an hour, Conor and I won! If you're keeping score, Cheryl has been victorious all weekend. I'm just sayin'.

After shuffleboard, we cleaned up (which is where I discovered my lobster body) and decided to go out to a fancy dinner at a Myrtle Beach favorite called Thoroughbreds. Don't worry, they don't serve horse. This steak was a bit better than Chuck's, Conor had the duck, Kathy had grouper, and Dad had the rack of lamb. We came back to the hotel to play a game of Trivial Pursuit - Beans vs. Spouses. Dad and I won, and although my Dad answered most of the questions for us, I answered the final winning question - a first! Again, victorious Cheryl. We played one more game, one my Dad is very good at because he is the crossword King, and although I was ahead most of the game, he won in the end. Quiddler is a good word game, if you're in the market for one (Five Crowns was really fun too.)

We headed off to bed so we could pack since Conor and I had to leave in the morning, and doused ourselves with Aloe Vera. This is usually extremely painful because I like to put it in the refrigerator and then torture myself with the cold gel, but we bought a spray bottle of Aloe. Genius. You thought spray suntan lotion was cool, just wait until you try this stuff!

We had a great time - thanks Dad and Kathy for spoiling us with such a fun weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment